Saturday, April 28, 2012

Product-Based Activity: Math Workstations

Hey, y'all! Since I went back to work after 12 weeks off for maternity leave it has been SUPER crazy! In the mean time I have also been working hard to finish my final research paper for my Ed.S. degree. Well, I am glad to say that I have survived my first week back AND completed all my work for my degree. My graduation is May11th and I am beyond excited to be done. The University of Georgia is an excellent school and I would recommend it to anyone! They have a great education program. I have always said that I would never go back for my doctoral degree, but I think I will.... In about 10 years! In the meantime, I plan on developing my teaching through professional reading. I also plan, in the next few years, to get my math endorsement, also from UGA.

 Anywho.... Since I have been back at work, I have been trying to find ways to challenge my upper math group. While at UGA, I also received my gifted endorsement which opened me up to new ways to challenge my higher-order thinkers. The kiddos were crazy, and I was going crazy! I knew I wanted something that would be LOADS of fun, and I knew I wanted it to be product-based. So, I came up with the idea that they would create a math product I can use in my station rotations for my upcoming fourthies.  I created a product proposal that they will have to complete and get approved by the CEO {me} before they begin creating their product.

You can download the proposal here....

They are sooo excited!  Friday we started our proposals that are due by the end of class on Monday.  Hopefully, we will have the products completed by the end of next week or the beginning of the following week.  I honestly have not seen kiddos so excited about a project.  They immediately jumped right in and started sketching ideas and writing down plans.  I'm going to add posts about the progress. So far, we have worked on our proposals.  Here are some pictures of that process.  BTW- I put them in groups of three.




I can't wait to update next week!  I hope this is something you will be interested in doing for your students!!



Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM , Anonymous Meredyth Mustafa-Julock said...

I just came across your blog and love your ideas! I am going to use this project to combat end of year gloomies and a fun project after testing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Hi! I would love to hear from you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home